The prairies are beautiful, in a very different way from our rocky island. This afternoon I took a walk around the ponds close to my mother-in-law's condo building.
The poplar trees chattered to each other softly in the wind. How I love those rustling leaves.
Several families of ducks drowsed on the pond, their heads tucked into their feathery breasts.
I leaned my arms on the wooden bridge railing and watched for a long time, letting the sun soak into my back. Occasionally this particular duck splashed and stretched his wings, perhaps tired of napping.
Cattails lined the edge of the pond, providing shelter for dragonflies, ducks, and other hidden creatures.
This trio sailed by as I once again began my walk. Perhaps they, like me, were beginning to think about dinner.
Thank you for all your kind words, thoughts, and prayers for my mother-in-law. When we arrived four days ago, she couldn't get out of bed without assistance, but is now walking (with a walker), climbing stairs, getting to the bathroom, and becoming more independent each day.
Crows are, to me, the quintessential bird of the prairies. They fly in great swarms, especially before storms, of which we've had a couple - great bursts of lightning and crashes of thunder that shook the house.
We'll soon be heading back towards the mountains, away from the prairies. I've noticed a slight tinge of the season to come in the trees and air here. It's still lovely and warm, but the greens are dulling a little. How are you feeling about the ending of summer?

0 Yorumlar